GIIP OFF CAMPUS IP LEARNING (OCL)
GIIP OFF CAMPUS IP LEARNING (OCL)
1. Off Campus IP Learning (OCL): What is the Off Campus IP Learning program?
The objective for the OCL program, an extension of GIIP’s instructor led training programs, is to impart IP knowledge and skills to users with technical, legal and management background. The OCL program allows for learning at any time, any place and GIIP’s online learning system facilitates constant interaction with the trainers and mentors. A user can undertake a complete capsule or individual courses to meet her/his specific needs.
The curriculum comprises state of the art education in IP laws of India, US and EP and provides practical insights supported by illustration, case studies and exercises that simulate scenarios commonly faced by a mid size to large enterprises handling IP issues. It is a self paced learning environment the learner can learn as per her/his own
convenience and availability.
2. Different capsules of the OCL: How is the OCL program structured and what are different capsules available for participants?
The OCL program, for students and working professionals, is called “IPNucleus” and it is categorized as following:
IPNucleus Basic capsule – 10 courses are offered. For each course, participant will receive workbooks, access to custom audio-video lecturers & live interactive webinars, unlimited interaction (through email, chat, fax and phone) with the trainers. On completion of all 10 courses, the participant will appear for an online (On-Demand) exam (MCQ split into 10 sections (1 section per course); 2-hour duration). GIIP
IPNucleus Basic certificate will be awarded to the participant with pass percentage of 50 in each section of the online exam.
IPNucleus Advanced capsule – 15 courses are offered (includes 10 courses offered under the IPNucleus Basic capsule). For each course, participant will receive workbooks, access to custom audio-video lecturers & live interactive webinars, unlimited interaction (through email, chat, fax and phone) with the trainers. On passing the online (MCQ) exam the participant will undergo a 5-day (10 am – 5 pm) class room training, offered by GIIP at the major metros of India. Such class room training will be offered, to the participant, twice in one year. GIIP IPNucleus Advanced certification will be awarded to the participant on completion of a project assignment (based on the class room
IPNucleus Expert capsule – 18 courses are offered (includes 15 courses offered under the IPNucleus Advanced capsule). For each course, participant will receive workbooks, access to custom audio-video lecturers & live interactive webinars, unlimited interaction (through email, chat, fax and phone) with the trainers. On passing the online (MCQ) exam the participant will undergo a 5-day (10 am – 5 pm) class room training, offered by GIIP at the major metros of India. Such class room training will be offered, to the participant, twice in one year. On completion of the class room training and completion
of a project assignment, participant will undergo 2-month internship / mentorship program*. GIIP IPNucleus Expert certification will be awarded to the participant at end internship / mentorship program.
* Internship / mentorship program:
1. GIIP to arrange for the said internship / mentorship program with a leading Corporate, MNC, KPO or Law Firm
2. GIIP not to pay any stipend to the participant during the internship / mentorship program.
3. The mentoring entity may pay stipend to cover the participants’ local travel and boarding cost.
4. The internship / mentoring program can be arranged by GIIP in any of the metro or tier II cities of India (however, the possible locations to be discussed with the participant prior to commencement of the program).
5. The participant to arrange for his/her own lodging and boarding during the internship /
6. The participant to arrange for his/her own travel from his/her city of residence to the metro / city of the internship / mentoring program is arranged by GIIP.
7. The Internship for people with technical background will be in area of patents and patent process, for people with legal background will be in area of trademarks and trademark process (at a LPO or a Law Firm) and for management professionals in area of IP Management and Monetization (at a Corporate or Consulting Firm).
3. Number of attempts: Is there a limit to the number of attempts for appearing in the online exam?
A participant can appear for the online examination twice without making any additional payment. However, if the participant exceeds the number of attempts and wish to take the online examination, s/he will have to pay Rs. 750 per attempt to maximum of 5 attempts (including 2 earlier attempts).
4. Different courses of the IPNucleus program:
The IPNucleus program comprise of 3 major capsules – IPNucleus Basic,
IPNucleus Advanced and IPNucleus Expert. The different courses offered under these
capsules are as following –
|Introduction to Intellectual Property (IP)||Y||Y||Y|
|International Treaties and Conventions||Y||Y||Y|
|Copyrights and Related Rights||Y||Y||Y|
|All about Trademarks||Y||Y||Y|
|All about Patents||Y||Y||Y|
|Patents and Patent Process (India)||Y||Y||Y|
|Trade Secrets, GI, and other forms of IP||Y||Y||Y|
|Industrial Design Protection||Y||Y||Y|
|The Patent – Substantive (US)*||Y||Y||Y|
|Patents and Patent Process (EP)*||Y||Y||Y|
|Competition Law and Intellectual Property*||Y||Y||Y|
|IP Litigation (India)*||Y||Y||Y|
|Patent Infringement and Litigation||N||Y||Y|
|PCT and PCT Process||N||Y||Y|
|IP Licensing and Valuation||N||Y||Y|
|Patent Searches and Analysis*||N||Y||Y|
|Trademark Searches and Prosecution*||N||Y||Y|
|All about Software, Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical, Business Method Patents||N||N||Y|
|Advanced IP Valuation||N||N||Y|
|Advanced Patents and Patent Process (US)*||N||N||Y|
|Advanced IP Litigation*||N||N||Y|
* Courses offered to participants with pure Legal background (LLB, LLM) –
- The IPNucleus Basic capsule participant will receive the “Competition Law and Intellectual Property” and “IP Litigation (India)” courses in lieu of The “Patent – Substantive (US)” and “Patents and Patent Process (EP)” courses.
- The IPNucleus Advanced capsule participant will receive the “Trademark Searching and Prosecution” course in lieu of “Patent Searches and Analysis” course.
- The IPNucleus Expert capsule participant will receive “Advanced IP Litigation” course in lieu of “Advanced Patents and Patent Process (US)” course.
The participants of IPNucleus Advanced and Expert capsules will undergo a 5-day (10 am – 5 pm) Instructor led training at GIIP Centre.
Additionally, the participants of IPNucleus Expert capsule will undergo a 2-month internship / mentoring program arranged by GIIP.
5. Distinguishing features of the OCL program: How is the OCL program different from other courses / programs offered by GIIP?
The OCL program is based on the concept of anywhere anytime learning. The OCL program participants will receive workbooks for each course, custom recorded video lecturers for each course, webinars and interaction with trainers and mentors (both online and face-to-face).
The OCL program offers flexible, user-defined delivery mode and is tailored to meet the needs of a wide category of users, ranging from scholars to researchers to technical professionals.
6. Certification for the OCL program: Are the participants eligible for any certification? Will the OCL certification be similar to other courses / program offered by GIIP?
On successful completion of the OCL program, the participant will be eligible for GIIP’s certification. GIIP has myriad of courses and for each course, GIIP offers a different certification which is specific to the course category.
7. Accreditation of the OCL programs: Are these programs accredited to any University / Institution / Accreditation Body?
Today, GIIP has emerged as an undisputed leader in quality IP training in the country and offer programs to cover IP practices for US, European and Indian jurisdictions. The OCL programs offered by GIIP come with GIIP’s own certification, which is widely accepted in the industry and the corporate.
GIIP is academic and training partner for distinguished universities and institutions, like, University of Washington USA, Silicon Valley Seminars USA, George Washington University USA, GO & Dutch User Group (WON) Netherlands, IIT Delhi, CSIR, National Law School Delhi, Ministry of MSME, Ministry of IT, etc.
8. Do I have to visit GIIP’s campus anytime during my course of study?
Not required. However, the participant may visit GIIP’s campus for pre-scheduled face-to-face interaction with the trainer(s). Also, the participants of IPNucleus Advanced and Expert capsules have to visit GIIP’s campus for a 5-day (10 am – 5 pm) Instructor led training.
9. Date /Time for Enrollment: Is there a last date for enrolling for the OCL program?
No there is no last date for enrollment; a candidate can register at any time of the year for the program.
10. Process of Registration: How can I register for the OCL program?
To register, fill in the registration form, choose your capsule of interest and pay the requisite registration fee.
11.Eligibility for registration: What is the eligibility criterion for registering in the OCL program? Is there a mandatory requirement for registration?
Minimum qualification is technical, legal or management degree in any discipline and sufficient skill to read, write and speak English.
12. Duration to complete the OCL programs: Is there a time limit to complete the OCL program?
The OCL program is based on the concept of anywhere anytime learning. Each IPNucleus program capsule comes with 12 months validity from date of registration.
However, a participant is encouraged to complete the capsule as quickly as his personal and professional commitments permit.
Assuming a participant is able to devote 8-10 hours per week to the IPNucleus program, s/he can expect to complete her/his IPNucleus capsule as per following timeline –
IPNucleus Basic – 2 months from the date of receiving the study material
IPNucleus Advanced – 4 months from the date of receiving the study material
IPNucleus Expert – 6 months from the date of receiving the study material
13. Compact learning option: Is there a compressed learning option? What if I wish to undertake all the three levels in 6 months?
Yes. Please refer to answer of Q.11.
Participants of the IPNucleus Expert capsule will avail all courses offered under the said IPNucleus program.
14. Course Fee: What all is included in the fee and installment plan?
The course fee includes study material*, tuition fee, postal (within India) charges, GST, cost to access GIIP’s learning portal, Online Examination and Certification fee. Refer to terms and conditions
* The study material being provided to the participants of the IPNucleus program includes custom study material written by Practitioners, Patent Agents and IP Attorneys from US, Europe and India.
Two-installment payment plan is available for participants of the IPNucleus Advanced and Expert capsule.
15. Entrance examination : Is there an entrance examination for enrolling into Off campus learning courses
16. Payment options: What payment methods are available?
We accept VISA, MasterCard and Personal or Corporate Checks. Additionally, Wire Transfers of funds may be arranged.
17. Access to GIIP’s online learning system?
Each participant who enrolls for the OCL program will be provided with a userid and a password (valid for a maximum period of 12 months, validity to be extended on request). The userid & password will allow the participant to access GIIP’s online learning system through Internet connection. The participant can login to the GIIP’s online learning system from anywhere and get access to a defined playlist of recorded sessions / courses.
The participant will also get access to the Chat room which will allow for interaction with the Instructors and peer group members. The participant will have the option to send an email to the instructor while undergoing a particular session.
18. Difficulty in accessing on line content: Who will solve real time queries while accessing online content? Is there a web administrator or technical coordinator for the same?
GIIP’s Admin Helpline will be accessible to all course participants from 10 AM to 5 PM (Monday to Friday).
For all the technical course related queries the participants can send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The trainer / mentor will send her/his response through email or invite the participant for a online interactive session. The email send by the participant will receive a response within 48 hours (or 72 hours in case of a query being send after 2 PM on Saturday or on a holiday)
19. Digital content: What does the recorded session comprise of? In case of queries whom should we contact?
Each course offered in the IPNucleus program will have one or more recorded lecturers. These recorded lecturers will be available as a playlist for the participant when s/he logs to the GIIP’s online learning system. These lecturers are recorded by leading IP practitioners, patent agents or patent attorneys from US, Europe and India. These lecturers are updated from time to time to include any change to the IP Law or process.
For all queries the participants can send email to email@example.com.
20. Instructor led training program: Will there be any trainer – participant interaction during the tenure of the course?
IPNucleus Basic capsule participants will be limited to online interaction with the trainers. They will participate in virtual class room training.
IPNucleus Advanced and Expert capsule participants will undergo a 5-day (10 am – 5 pm) instructor led training and can pre-schedule in-person interaction with the trainer at the GIIP’s campus.
All participants will have unlimited email, chat and phone based access to the instructors / trainers during the duration of the program
21. Placement Assistance: Does GIIP provide any placement assistance to the OCL participants?
All participants of the IPNucleus Advanced and the IPNucleus Expert capsule are eligible for GIIP’s placement program.
The participants of the IPNucleus Advanced will have to pay an additional sum of Rs. 7,500 for availing GIIP’s placement services
The participants of the IPNucleus Expert can avail GIIP’s placement services FREE OF COST.
The participants, enrolled for GIIP’s placement program, will receive counseling, will be prepared for the interviews and a minimum of 4 such interviews will be arranged for the participant in cities of his/her choice.
22. Assignment assistance: Who will solve my queries while I am working on my assignments? Will it be real time interaction or just email interaction?
For real time queries there are prescheduled video conferencing sessions and participants can email their queries and will be responded to within the next five working days
23. Schedule of Examination: How soon/ late can I take up the online exam after enrolling into the capsule?
One month after enrolling into the capsule, participant can appear in the online exam. Clearing the online exam is mandatory for certification available under the IPNucleus program.
24. Eligibility Criteria for Advance / Expert capsules: Who is eligible for enrolling into advance and expert capsule resp.? Is it mandatory to take basic capsule to qualify for advance and expert capsules
Minimum qualification is technical, legal or management degree in any discipline and skill to read, write and speak in English sufficiently.
A participant can enroll for any of the IPNucleus capsule and there is no pre-requisite to clear one capsule before enrolling for the other.
25. Calendar of instructor led class room program: Is there a periodic schedule for the program? If I miss some sessions in one of the program, can I take up those sessions in the next scheduled instructor led class room program?
Yes, the instructor led class room training will be offered twice in a year. Participant will have to pre-register (no additional fee) for the instructor led class room training 45 days in advance.
26. Internship / Mentoring for IPNucleus Expert capsule: Is mentoring / internship essential for getting the certification? If I get a job immediately on completion of the advanced capsule, do I still need to complete the internship / mentoring program for obtaining the IPNucleus Expert Certificate?
The Internship / Mentoring program is mandatory component to get the IPNucleus Expert Certificate. However, if the participant is an IP practitioner or gets employed before going through the mentoring program, then the said condition may be relaxed subject to discretion of GIIP management.
27. Industries/ companies involved in mentorship: What is the kind of companies engaging Expert level students for mentorship?
The companies may range from Indian corporate, MNCs having inhouse IP team, Law Firms, LPOs, KPOs, and Govt organizations.
28. Importance of Mentorship: how relevant is mentorship to expert level?
Under the internship / mentorship program the participant will be provided hands-on experience / training on specific skills, which are in demand in the Industry today. The mentorship program will be conducted by an Industry practitioner or a patent agent / attorney and will help the participant in seeking a career of an IP professional.
29. Examination for IPNucleus Advanced: Can I undertake the project assignment required for the IPNucleus Advance capsule without attending the instructor led training? Is the 5-day training mandatory requirement for undertaking the project assignment?
Yes the instructor led 5-day training is mandatory for project assignment and certification.
30. Choice of study for Mentoring: will I be given an option to choose from my area of interest in IP? Will GIIP provide any guidance in choosing the right IP practicing area for me?
GIIP’s team of expert guides the participants in choosing from amongst various career options in the field of intellectual property. And participants are allowed to choose the area of interest, subject to approval of GIIP expert committee
31. Duration of Mentorship: What will be the duration of the mentorship?
2 months (extendible) of extensive mentorship in field of IP based on your qualification and experience.
32. Stipend for Mentorship: Will this be a paid mentorship?
GIIP’s team of expert guides the students in choosing from amongst various career options in the field of intellectual property. And students are allowed to choose the area of interest, subject to approval of GIIP expert committee
33. Start date of mentorship: when will my industrial training begin?
The mentorship / industrial training will commence after 4 months from the date of enrollment. However, the participant can seek extension, but not beyond 12 months from the date of enrollment.
34. What happens if GIIP in unable to arrange for internship / mentorship program for the participant?
GIIP has been working in the field for more than a decade and has provided placements to participants at leading KPOs, Corporate, MNCs, Law Firms and Consulting Firms. Today, GIIP has a huge network of clients in India to whom we train and provide IP professionals on a regular basis. GIIP has confirmed arrangement with clients where they have agreed to mentor 3 – 5 participants of the IPNucleus program each quarter. These clients also have the first right to hire in case they find participant skills up to mark.
Additionally, GIIP has a team of mentors / practitioners in-house with industry experience ranging from 10 – 15 years, who will be available for the internship / mentorship program.
35. Minimum passing requirement: Are there any minimum number of marks credit that I shall have to get to avail the certification and to be eligible for next level?
Minimum pass percentage is 50% for all the three levels a candidate shall have to obtain this to qualify for certification.
36. Why Shouldn’t I do the NALSAR OR NLSU program instead of the one being offered by GIIP? What advantage do I have
GIIP is the leading IP training institute of India and has been involved in education and training in field of IP, since 2007. GIIP offer programs to cover areas of IP generation, protection, enforcement and management and provide coverage of multiple jurisdictions (US, EP and Indian).
GIIP’s programs are designed with an objective of providing an employable skill to the participant.
GIIP’s 9-month PGD program in IPR and Patent Management is the only regular full-time program available to professionals seeking a career in field of patents.
GIIP has graduated more than 650 professionals from the various batches of the PGD program and also trained more than 3000 corporate employees in different areas of IPR and IP processes.
The OCL program is an extension of GIIP’s On-Campus PGD program and has been developed with an objective of extending the PGD program to participants with limitations (cost, time, relocation, etc.) and who wish to gain skills in field of IP and opt for a potential career in this field.
The OCL program is also designed for professionals who wish to get an edge over their peers while looking for a more lucrative career or growth in their own respective field. The OCL program will offer practical insights into different forms of IP keeping the participant’s interest / functional competency.
The OCL curriculum has been designed to provide skills to professionals that will help them serve global customers. The core of our curriculum is the US Laws (the most matured in the world today) and we provide extensive coverage on the differences and variations in the EP and Indian laws. Most of the other programs are designed with purpose of imparting knowledge (and not develop practical, employable skill) in various forms of IP and are their focus is the Indian legal system.
The distance learning programs available from other Institutes of repute, Government or private, are not comparable to the OCL program offered by GIIP for many reasons –
- OCL is a skills development program
- Allows for unlimited interaction to Instructors, Mentors and Practitioners of International repute
- Placement assistance for IPNucleus Advanced and IPNucleus Expert capsule participants
- Coverage of US, European and Indian jurisdictions
- Coverage of Technical, Legal and Management aspects of IP
- Custom Study Material written by practitioners from US, EP and India
37. Can I appear for the Patent Agent Examination on completion of the above capsules?
IPNucleus Basic capsule participants – will have to undergo GIIP’s 5-day training to help prepare you for the Patent Agent Exam. The participants of the IPNucleus Basic capsule will have to pay an additional fee for the 5-day training.
IPNucleus Advanced capsule participants – included as part of the curriculum.
IPNucleus Expert capsule participants – included as part of the curriculum.
All participants who wish to appear for the PATENT AGENT EXAMINATION (conducted by the Indian Patent office) will receive additional study material specifically prepared for the same, which includes solved Question papers for the past 3 years.